Thursday, September 6, 2012

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers


Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Release Date: April 3rd 2013

PublisherHoughton Mifflin Harcourt
Age Rec: There are some terms not suitable for all ages, and there was also an attempted rape scene at the beginning, not very graphic. 
Summary: 
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

My thoughts:

For those of us who read more light-weight books, this book might seem a little bit intimidating. It is a very thick 500 or so page book. I found it at the NEW BOOK shelves, I had my eye on it for a little while so I was so excited when I saw it.

I have read a few thirteen-century set books, but nothing of this caliber. Robin LaFevers introduces the main character, Ismae, with a very secretive past. Some sort of mysterious birthmark and a curse. The story captivated you to turn the next page and the next, until you have no choice but to finish. With such authentic plot and dialogue that you will enjoy every single page.

When she is taken away from her abusive husband, she is introduced to a world that she could have never imagined. After a couple years of training she becomes a seductive deadly assassin, she must do the will of the God of Death. She must do Mortain's will and kill those with his mark. She must do anything and everything in her power to fulfill his will. 

There is where all of her adventures begin, she meets different characters, some remarkable some not and she must decide who she trusts. The characters, I admit, were a little hard to keep track of. There were a couple of times I was a little confused. But that was my mistake, I would recommend a little notebook to keep track of characters. 


The action and suspense were ultimate during this whole book, but there was a romance sub-plot through the story. The sort of romance that slowly builds up. 


Ismae will definitely be added to my list of kick ass heroines that I admire and love. 

I will most definitely be looking forward to what Mrs.LaFevers releases in the future. 


Thanks for reading! =)

4 comments:

  1. This book is so long and kind of plodding but I absolutely fell in love with it and easily would have read 100 pages more.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review! And love your blog ;) I'm a follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eying this one for a while. Thanks for review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Alex! :)

    I just found your blog and I'm absolutely in love with it! It's absolutely gorgeous!<3 New follower! : )

    ReplyDelete


© Copyright More Than Just A Book. FDS